when to weigh & when to count

|

I've always weighed myself last thing at night.

I prefer to weigh myself at the very heaviest time of the day. I don't want any false positives. I also weigh myself fully clothed in a t-shirt and jeans, even to the point of holding my jeans in my hand if I’d already started getting undressed or was wearing a flimsy skirt that day.

Tis a habit that's worked well for me, though not always ideal I must admit. My hubby can find this rather trying, if the scales aren't giving good news he has to deal with a disappointed Ani right when he’s wanting to go to sleep - not the best sleep routine. I think he'd rather I change to the morning... no biggie, might think about it.

The other thing I'm pondering is whether I should be counting? Counting calories is such a drag. I lost the original 65kg without counting calories but by counting portions of different food types (7 portions of carbs, 4 fruits, 2 protein etc) as recommended by my then dietitian. I'd gotten into such a great routine with it I didn't need to count religiously for long and would just have it at the back of my mind. This last month I just clicked back into that thinking and kept with it at the back of my mind, no strict counting. I was just listening to Jillian Michael's radio show podcast and she's all about counting - calories in, calories out. So I'm pondering. If I'm going to take this really seriously, bearing in mind this time around I really care about timeframe, maybe I should be counting calories.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

I was thinking about the calories counting for you-- all I can say is that if it makes you CRAZY to count calories, dont... some people cannot. I know that Oct/Nov/Dec I didn't and had to pick it up again when my weight loss slowed.

Maybe you should try and see if it brings out the best (or worst) in you? There are a bunch of websites that take care of it for free... like CalorieKing and FitDay.

Hanlie said...

The problem with counting calories is that our bodies don't measure our intake in calories... So it's always a square peg in a round hole situation. I eat as much fresh, natural food as I feel like and avoid the processed stuff, sugar etc.

Elsha said...

I listen to Jillian Michaels podcast too and LOVE THEM!!!! Counting Pts with Weight Watchers does my head in and I considered counting calories instead.... just grabbing one of those calorie counting books from the newsagents and doing that.... I mean, least I am not converting kjs and sf into pts. I am still considering it....

ani pesto said...

Elsha, have you investigated the online tools for Weight Watchers? I used to use it in the UK and the database had just about every known brand and supermarket product you could fathom. You just entered the food and it would figure out the points for you. I never calculated points myself since I started using the website.

Elsha said...

Ani, I have etools and I also have the supermarket guide from WW so it is rare for me to actually use my pts calculator....but I even have one on my ipod for those emergency times! (ie - the 98% fat free coffee chill debacle)